GRave Defense HD is a tower defence game released by Art of Bytes UG.
The game puts you in control of the defences that will stop the advance of the mutant hordes.
As you kill the mutants, you gain money that can then be use to purchase upgrades and more towers.
The game offers a Campaign with three scenerios and a Survival mode. You have four levels of difficulty (casual, normal, hard and insane) so you have some control over how hard the game will be. However, even with this you need to make sure you use your money wisely and place the towers well as the game is very unforgiving of mistakes.
Controls are your standard tower defence ones with placing a weapon on a set emplacement then clicking on them to upgrade etc. You can also pick up objects dropped by the mutants like money, health packs and short term gun emplacements.
The graphics and sound are both good, although some of the in-game graphics lack a little in animation side.
My biggest issue with the game is fairness. Despite walking the first nineteen waves out of twenty the final wave would end my run with only one creature getting through my defences. An example, is the Panther, which did 899 damage when it exited the level. It was the last one left in the wave, and I had over 750 health. Needless to say more than a little annoying. It is fine to do some damage, but probably more damage than I could have earned in health up to that point is just unfair.
On the upside:
- Generally, well designed tower defence game.
- Four difficulty levels and three “campaigns” should keep you going some time.
- Lots of weapons and upgrades as the game continues.
On the downside:
- Random routes make it hard to plan the best defence.
- Some levels are overly long.
- Some monsters move so fast it is almost impossible to stop them, even with two cyro-cannons.
- Screen is upside-down in portrait (so need to remember when looking for volume and home button.)
Overall, this is a solid tower defence game. Unfortunately, due to a few minor flaws the game really becomes un-winnable at times. I think with a few tweaks this game could be improved greatly and become a must have tower defence game. I look forward to the next update.
Size: 19.8 MB
Price (at time of review): £1.59