Advanced Browser is an alternative browser for the Touchpad released by MaKleSoft.
It is really difficult to review a browser for a device, as it looks at the web and you want it to help and not get in the way.
First off I have to say that I find the Touchpad browser good with a few minor issues and with the standard problems of a webkit browser.
Advanced Browser is really a skin on top of this, but what it adds makes the browser much more usable. The big features are as follows:
- Start page with bookmarks. (set your favorite sites here)
- Remembering and auto filling login names and passwords (you can save these within the browser)
- Searching within webpages (search for words within the website text)
- Tabs (requires webOS 3.0.2)
- Instapaper integration (via Paper Mache)
- Twitter integration (via Spaz HD)
Another feature of the application is that it links to SecuStore 2 if you have the application installed. You can click on the web icon within the password details screen, and this will open the selected web page and will have a pop-up with the username and password available to click over the login form when it appears.
The user interface is very nice, all the usual options are there and you will not be confused finding things, you will just see the additional options.
On the upside:
- Nice User Interface
- Great integration with SecuStore 2 and other third party apps.
- Browser works the same as the standard one (you will access no more/no less than the standard one)
On the downside:
- Would have like to be able to re-organise favorite bookmarks.
- Waiting for HP to release the OTA update so we can get all the features.
Overall, this is an excellent alternative browser to the one supplied with the Touchpad. We will have to wait for the OTA for this application to shine with the addition of tabs. However, the features already available make it a must have especially if you already own SecuStore 2.
Size: 8.3 MB
Price (at time of review): £1.59