Red Ball 3 HD is a level based platform game released by Chillingo Ltd.
The game puts you in control of Red, a ball, whos girlfriend has been captured by your nemesis (a black ball).
Red Ball 3 HD is played over twenty levels of platform action, using physic based traps and objects to make the journey through the level more interesting and each level also has three stars to collect.
The basics of the game, is roll and jump your way through the level and reach the flag at the end of the level to progress onwards. Along the way are check points that save your progress through the level and put you back in that location if you die. (These become vital in later levels)
Level designs are varied and looks of thought has gone into several levels, level 16 is even a nod to doodle jump.
The game is controlled by tapping the virtual left, right and jump buttons on the screen.
The graphics and sound are good, with a nice animated style and cute main character.
On the upside:
- Well designed platforms and “puzzles”
- Cute characters
On the downside:
- Controls, especially jumping are a little unresponsive at time.
- A lot of the levels require a lot of timing, get it wrong and you are replying that section of the level again and again.
- You can often fail and level and have to restart just be landing on something that blocks your way.
- Too difficult at times to get some of the timing right.
Overall, this is a solid platform game, however, the controls and timing often let the game down, which just makes it to annoying to be a classic. All that said, the game levels are well designed and I feel that a tweak or to in an update would certainly make this game a lot more enjoyable.
Size: 67.0 MB
Price (at time of review): £1.19