Minotron: 2112 is a twin stick shooter released by Llamasoft.
Minotron 2112 is a retro style game and is really a reimagining of Llamatron: 2112 that was released in 1991.
The game itself is your typical robotron game, with a virtual twin stick control one stick for move and one for firing.
The game has four different game modes:
- Normal – standard game with full range of powerups
- Assisted – less power ups, by a droid assistant to help protect you
- Simplified – you only move with one stick, the firing is done automatically, good for young kids.
- Hard – same power ups as the original llamatron game
There is an Endurance mode for each of the above modes, which gives you just one life.
The basics of the game, is to just destory all the creatures on the level, save the llamas, goats, camels etc. There are several gaming references in the levels harping back to some classic characters like manic miner.
The graphics and sound are very retro indeed, going back to the very early days of colour. If you are a fan of Jeff minters game then you know what to expect. For others the graphics do appear dated.
On the upside:
- Fast and furious shooter
- Retro heaven
On the downside:
- The controls – depending which “Stick” you press first and second selects the move and fire, and so you can swap by mistake mid game (between levels)
- Possible to accidently pause the game by mistake.
Overall, this is another nice retro remake by Jeff Minter, it work well and is fun to play. However, again the controls are a little wacky in design, but nowhere near as bad as Minotaur Rescue, you just need to remember to tap move before fire each level. The feeling of retro is a little over done sometimes, but that does not stop this being a very good Robotron style game.
Size: 7.9 MB
Price (at time of review): £1.19